[EM] Eric Maskin promotes the Black method

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Thu Jun 23 17:47:02 PDT 2011

Marcus wrote:
Maskin's argumentation doesn't work because
of the following reason: Whether an election
method is good or bad depends on which criteria
it satisfies.

----

Now, if "good" and "bad" are defined by which criteria methods satisfy, it
seems to me that having introduced "judgement" we need "judges" to define
the "goodness" of each criterion. And if there are more than 2 "judges" to
decide the "goodness" of more than two criteria, there is no unambiguous way
to consolidate the opinions of the "judges."

I think Maskin's "arguent" is actually a really old one - if there's a CW
nobody really has a complaint (though there are pathological cases where the
CW is disliked by a majority of the voters...) and if there's not a CW use
Borda (or Bucklin or ...) considering only the smallest Smith Set.

Logically, all we're talking about here is how to order alternatives in
pairwise A>B>C>A loops, right? If we don't like Y=Borda we can start talking
about what "Y" should be if there's a need to have a "Y".