[EM] [CES #3089] Re: Theoretical Issues In Districting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Jun 22 10:57:18 PDT 2011

A bit of thinking, and a bit of personal history.

I see no value in splitline.
.     It happily mixes city and rural and suburbs - city and rural
each should be kept together, as should suburbs, though suburbs fit
with either of the first two.
.     It happily mixes new collections of people, giving them little
opportunity to get together and work together.

1990 - NY-28 includes Kimgston on the Hudson, Ithaca on the Finger
Lakes, and Owego where I live.  FAR from compact.

1992 - NY-26 inherits above NY-28 description.  Assemblyman Hinchey
from near Kingston is completing 18 years in Albany and gets elected
to Congress.

2002 - NY-22 inherits above NY-28 description.  How tightly can a
waist be bound?  Near Nichols NY-22 northern boundary, on the
Susquehanna River, is less than 5 miles from PA.
.     Congressman Hinchey, completing 10 years, is reelected.

2012 -  Hinchey is completing 20 years.  NY will have two less
congressmen.  NY's habit is to keep current districts, amended as
needed for census results, so what to do?
.     NYC area needs to lose one and a scandal leaves nothing to save
in NY-9 - so dump that one.
.     NY-26 is having a special election, so that seems like a good
prospect.  Hochul's win makes her deserve a full term, so look
elsewhere.

Dave Ketchum