[EM] A secure distributed election scheme based on Bitcoin's Proof-of-Work protocol

Mike Frank michael.patrick.frank at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 07:50:58 PDT 2011

Bitcoin's security is not based on its price, it is based on the fact that
compromising the system's security is compute-intensive - same as with every
other cryptosystem.

Even if the total resources deployed on the Bitcoin network were to someday
fall to such a low level that a single attacker could easily produce a
forged chain of transactions, that would only mean that this attacker could
double-spend their own coins from that point onwards, not that they could
nullify the established chain that was already in existence and accepted by
all nodes on the network.

Also, if participation in the network fell that far, then this could only
mean that the aggregate value of the currency had already fallen similarly
far as well, and so at that point, Bitcoin would have already failed, from a
market-acceptance perspective.  So, no one would care at that point that its
security was compromised.

Bitcoin is based on public-key signatures and SHA-256 hashes, so, as long as
Bitcoin's popularity doesn't fall so far as to make a double-spending attack
feasible, to compromise it in some more serious fashion in the meantime
(forging transactions from other users, for example) would require breaking
these well-established tools, which (unless weaknesses are discovered in
them) requires some astronomical number of years.

-Mike

--
Full name:       Michael Patrick Frank
Email addr.:     michael.patrick.frank at gmail.com (pers. email)