[EM] A secure distributed election scheme based on Bitcoin's Proof-of-Work protocol

Mike Frank michael.patrick.frank at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 05:43:26 PDT 2011

Bitcoin has experienced up-and-down fluctuations in value by more than 40%
quite regularly.  It dropped by more than 50% just last week.  Yet, the
longer-term trend is still that its value (and the computing power devoted
to it) is increasing at more than 2x per month (10x per calendar quarter).
 The bitcoin network has grown by 10x for each of the last 6 consecutive
quarters, and currently does it more ops/s than the Top 500 supercomputers
put together!

For any particular group of "bad guys" to collaborate with each other to
command more than 50% of this amount of computational power for any
significant length of time (sufficient to corrupt the chain) seems like an
extremely unlikely proposition to me - especially in light of Jameson's
point.  Any putative attackers would profit more by mining bitcoins
cooperatively with the system.

I therefore find Bitcoin's security guarantees to be quite convincing...

-Mike

--
Full name:       Michael Patrick Frank
Email addr.:     michael.patrick.frank at gmail.com (pers. email)