[EM] Best use of two bit ballots?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Wed Jun 15 14:37:35 PDT 2011

fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:

> Which interpretation would be least confusing for the voter?
>
> Suppose, for example we have
>
> [name]  (1)  (2)
>
> What is the most natural interpretation for the voter that doesn't read the instructions?

Either a Range ballot where greatest circle filled in counts (so if you
mark both 1 and 2, that's 2 points), or Approval with undervote limits
(you either have to fill in 1 or 2 for all candidates).

If it's Range, leaving it blank will either count as an abstention (soft
quorum style) or as 0 points. If it's Approval, leaving any blank will
make the ballot informal.

I think the Range ballot would be better than the Approval one, because
having to fill in all candidates may lead people to request an
above-the-line option of the ballot designers, and then voting above the
line.