[EM] Theoretical Issues In Districting

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Sat Jun 11 02:04:47 PDT 2011

Warren Smith wrote:
> A preliminary web page on this topic is now available here
>
> http://rangevoting.org/TheorDistrict.html
>
> Your comments would be appreciated to help me improve this page.
>
> [There is a much longer scientific paper in the works by me & others
> on this, but it unfortunately has been in the works several years
> already :(  I'm too lazy and/or bit off
> more than could chew.]

Writing as I read...

There is a third way of doing this. Taking a page out of Stafford Beer's
book, it's "better to dissolve problems than to solve them". In other
words, if you can get a multiwinner system, redistricting becomes more
or less a non-issue because minorities get represented anyway.

Over here (where we use list PR), electoral districts follow the second
level administrative division ("fylke") boundaries. This means that some
districts get fewer reps than others, but that's not a problem. In our
particular case, to keep politics somewhat decentralized, large
districts get proportionally more reps than small ones, and large
parties are also favored by a tweak of Sainte-Laguë, but neither of
these features are required to make multiwinner work.

For that matter, now that I think about it, there's a fourth way, too,
although you touch on it. Have an independent commission draw the
boundaries - something like Elections Canada in, well, Canada, or the
Boundary Commissions of the UK. This might be rather difficult to do in
the United States, though.

-

Other than that, some comments:

I don't know of any laws that have mandated and described certain
formats, but I do think there have been laws that say something like
"all data of this type must be given in [ISO standard X] format" or "all
data of this type must be given in a format standardized by
[organization]". This was part of the reason, AFAIK, that MS went to
such lengths to get their XML Office format standardized by ISO.

It'd be possible to do a combination of these. Have the state produce a
standard (according to current algorithm knowledge), then people can
improve it if they want by submitting their own solutions.

I suppose you could quantify the degree to which the measure could be
manipulated by considering how great a change in the score altering the
outer shape of the district will produce. For the measures you call
"stupid", you can change the shape a lot without altering the score; for
measures 1 and 2, you can change the shape quite a bit and only change
the score a little; and for measure 3, you can barely change the shape
at all. But in turn, the vulnerability depends on how much you can
gerrymander given a certain "wiggle budget".

Impartial redistricting can still be "unfair". Consider a very
simplified model where Democrats live in cities and Republicans live
outside them. Then an algorithm that draws compact districts will crack
Republicans because the district centers will tend towards the cities.
In a more mathematical, general sense: single member districts
invariably introduce some rounding error, and different redistricting
methods produce different patterns to these rounding errors. The
distribution of voters might then interfere with the patterns of
rounding errors so that voters of a particular type tend to have
disproportionately little (or much) power.

Measures 1 and 2 can be modified to take features into account. I
actually did that in my "what if" redistricting of the entire world into
190 or so countries. Simply define a "point to neighboring point"
distance that takes features into account (e.g. crossing rivers or going
from water to water costs a lot more). Then you generalize this to
non-neighboring points by making the distance between two points equal
to the shortest path according to that point-to-neighboring point distance.

Oh, I see you already mentioned multiwinner. Oops :) I'll mention that
in what Woodall would call fully proportional methods, the fraction F of
voters doesn't have to coordinate in order to get a fraction F of the
assembly. That is, methods like STV (but not RRV or SNTV) are
proportional by solid coalitions, not just by candidates. Methods that
are proportional by candidate but not coalition can lead to
sophisticated vote-distribution efforts - at least this was (is?) the
case with SNTV in Taiwan - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_non-transferable_vote#Potential_for_ta
ctical_voting for more information.