[EM] Defensive strategy for Condorcet methods

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 06:33:09 PDT 2011

It's easy to minimize the problems with one's preferred systems, and focus
on the problems with other systems you see as "competing" for mindshare.
It's not even dishonest: the truth is that, compared to the giant issues
with plurality, any good system has problems that are minor, but that on the
other hand such minor problems would still be a hurdle in convincing voters
to make a switch.

But I don't think it's getting us much of anywhere to argue this back and
forth.

Let's imagine these minimizing-the-issues points were all granted, on all
sides. Say Condorcet had negligible strategy, Range strategy were always
unbiased, and SODA had no smoky rooms. (I think that all three propositions
are close enough to true to use as an approximation.) I think that it's
undeniable then that SODA would have the simplest balloting and Range the
best results.

So I, personally, don't see the attraction of Condorcet when compared to
other proposals. But... I'd rather find a way to agree than fight about it.
In my other recent message, I suggested that we put forward SODA and one
simple Condorcet method as the practical proposals in some statement which
people here could sign on to.

Jameson