[EM] Remember Toby

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Jun 3 19:30:02 PDT 2011

Been a busy day on this thread.  I will try for Condorcet, to sell
that it can be good and usable by voters without requiring much new
understanding by them.

Ranking:
      IRV ranking, learned by many, is a start, with equal ranking a
trivial addition.
      Approval voting permissible and usable as valid Condorcet by
using a single rank number.

How many rank numbers?  Three, as in IRV, is  probable reasonable
minimum.  More needs thought, but not necessarily many - usability of
equal ranks minimizes true need for more.

Write-ins - need being doable and countable with reasonable effort.

Majority:  Needed by plurality.  Minimum truly needed can be different
for other methods.

Counting:  I promote an N*N matrix with a row and column for each
candidate, and an N array with an element for each candidate.  If a
write-in is in one array/matrix and not in another, a merged array/
matrix of the precincts will need to include such.
      When reading a ballot each ranked candidate gets counted in the
array.  For each pair of ranked candidates this will later be counted
in the matrix as if both won so, right now, adjust in the matrix for
the losing candidate - and for equal ranks if that is needed.
      In the final array/matrix, after reading all ballots, add each
array element to each element in its row in the N*N matrix.
      This both reduces labor while reading ballots and provides for
proper counting of write-ins.

Cycles:  Cycle members have to approach equality for the cycle to
possibly complete, and each cycle member would be CW in absence of
other cycle members.  Thus it seems reasonable to look only among
members to decide who should act as CW.

Hybrids such as Approval/Asset?  I choke because their combined
methods end up making complications for voters.

Dave Ketchum