[EM] Remember Toby

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 13:58:55 PDT 2011

Jameson,

The number two (2) is *not* arbitrary. It is the next integer after
the number one (1).  Therefore, two is the next simplest number of
candidates to allow voters to vote for after the number one, since we
cannot vote for portions of candidates.

Again, the idea is to follow Forest's principle of strictly improving,
as well as the principle of equal votes per voter, equal treatment of
all voters' votes (& thus precinct summable, easy to count and
manually audit).   Why would we need voters to have more than two
votes for one office-holder to fix the problems of plurality?  Perhaps
you can make the case.

I've programmed enough to know that allowing each voter to vote for at
most two candidates is not a programming problem.  So, please supply a
more realistic argument against keeping the electoral method
simplistic by increasing the number of candidates a voter can vote for
by at most one.

Kathy

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

Realities Mar Instant Runoff Voting
http://electionmathematics.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051