[EM] Remember Toby

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:41:03 PDT 2011

2011/6/3 <fsimmons at pcc.edu>

> Dear Kathy,
>
> Great idea!  Why didn't I think of that?  As you indicated, it could be
> done with an ordinary Plurality
> ballot, and would amount to a simplified version of DYN:
>
> If a voter "bullet" votes, then the ballot is interpreted as submission of
> a replicate of the Approval ballot
> that the marked candidate ends up submitting. Otherwise it is interpreted
> as an ordinary Approval ballot.
> The candidate with the most approval wins.
>
> To rule out the smoke-filled-room scenario, candidates' Approval ballots
> must be consistent with their
> rankings of the candidates, which they are required to publish at least a
> three (?) days before the voting
> takes place.
>
> This method is indeed uniformly better than Plurality, Asset, and Approval!

Well... it's only uniformly better than Approval if you allow
non-tranferable bullet-voting. So you'd need to include an option to opt-out
of the delegation process. That's simple, though - for instance, writing in
"Mickey Mouse" would do the trick.

> What should we call it?
>
> Can anybody think of a better deterministic voting method for a single
> winner public proposal?

This is a great proposal.

I'd add my "safety" fix to the near-clone problem, *if* someone can think of
an easy way to describe and motivate it. Basically, it looks at any
candidate who mutually approve with the winner, and sees if they would beat
the winner (pairwise) with those mutual approvals turned off. This helps
when, for instance (honest preferences):

35: X1>X2
25: X2>X1
21: Y>>X2
19: Y>>X1

If X1 and X2 approve each other, the right thing happens (X1 wins), no
matter what Y voters do. If they do not, this fix does not attempt to read
anyone's minds (or to ask people again in a runoff).