[EM] Remember Toby

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 07:52:38 PDT 2011

> Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 19:14:12 +0000 (GMT)
> From: fsimmons at pcc.edu
> To: election-methods at lists.electorama.com

> Is DYN too complicated?  If so, we are stuck with ordinary Approval or ordinary Asset Voting.  They are
> the only choices simpler than DYN that dominate Plurality.

Great analysis. I like the "uniformly better" concept. I agree with
everything you said - very logical.

Question: Wouldn't there be a third option that is uniformly better
than plurality - an Approval/Asset hybrid?  I.e. allow voters to rank
only one candidate - then if that candidate loses, those voters who
rank only one candidate transfer the right to their losing candidate
to cast their vote for another candidate. Or if voters choose more
than one candidate, their own extra approval votes are counted.

Just a thought that might alleviate the problem that some Judges have
found with some electoral methods on the basis of voters having
unequal amount of votes if voters may choose either two candidates or
one candidate and their candidate gets to cast their other vote, but I
haven't really thought it through completely. It seems like in this
case, an initial loser could end up the winner if enough of the asset
votes were cast for that person.  But it's probably not a good idea -
just a passing thought.

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

Realities Mar Instant Runoff Voting
http://electionmathematics.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051