[EM] Andy's Question

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 31 02:16:10 PDT 2011

Andy Jennings' question is a good question.

The original votes were

20 AC
20 AD
20 AE
20 BC
20 BD
20 BE

Let's decrease the support of A and B a bit (20 approvals reduced from both of them).

20 C
20 AD
20 AE
20 C
20 BD
20 BE

Would {A,B,C} be a good choice now? It is not good if reduction of approvals makes A and B winners. And adding those reduced approvals back shouldn't make A and B losers.

One psychological problem in the original question is that we tend to assume that the wide support of A and B (50% of the voters) can not be as strong as the more focused support of C, D and E (33% support).

One question is if the target of this election is to treat all voters equally or to treat all voters as well as possible. If we elect A, B and C (with the original votes), then The C supporters (with 2 favourites approved) may be happier than those A and B supporters that did not support C (1 favourite approved). If we elect C, D and E instead, all voters are probably equally happy, which may thus be a positive thing in some elections even though we can assume that nobody became happier with the change. The criterion of equal treatment could thus mean also that we should reduce the happiness level of some voters in order to treat all equally. My answer to this last question is that the chosen policy should depend on what one wants to achieve in that election (i.e. the targets of the society for this election). I guess it is a more common approach to allow the happiness level of some voters to increase if that does not cause the happiness level of any voter to decrease.

With these votes that only display the approvals we may assume that the fact that others may be jealous tho those that got 2 of their favourites elected will not decrease their happiness. And we may assume that the support of A and B is not any milder than the support of C, D and E. But if these assumptions do not hold, then the happiness of some voters may decrease if we elect A or B.

Juho