[EM] Borda Done Right (with proof of clone consistency and monotonicity)

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Jul 28 17:45:37 PDT 2011

A modification I am considering:

If all of the candidates are ranked on a ballot, then on that ballot keep the raw range scores without
normalization, so the lowest ranked candidate Z will be ranked at p(Z) which may or may not be zero.
But on ballots with one or more truncations do the normalization to ensure that the truncated candidates
have a final rating of zero.

Also, the method is not summable because the probability distribution values are computed from the
whole ballot set.  In the case of the benchmark lottery distribution, the first place votes would need to be
tallied before the ranked ballots could be converted to range form.  The method could be carried out in
two separate summable steps .. first the top vote talley, and then, given the results of that talley, each
precinct could encode the rest of the information in a summable way.