[EM] PR-SODA? Try 2 (and 3)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 08:05:52 PDT 2011

2011/7/26 Andy Jennings <elections at jenningsstory.com>

> Jameson Quinn wrote:
>
>>   Suggestions:

>>> Good point.  Although if there do happen to be any voters who bullet
>>> voted for that candidate but didn't delegate to him, then you should
>>> definitely eliminate those first (even before the delegated ones, I think).
>>>  Once that candidate is elected, ballots which don't approve any other
>>> candidates are pretty useless, so you might as well get rid of them.
>>>
>>> But after that, I can see why you would be reluctant to incentivize
>>> approving more candidates.
>>>

>> Here's an idea. When you have elected a candidate, choose which of their
>> ballots survive, not which are eliminated; and do so in proportion to the
>> number of remaining hopeful candidates approved per ballot. This naturally
>> eliminates bullet votes.
>>

> You're still choosing randomly, right?  So the probability of surviving
> will be proportional to the number of remaining hopeful candidates left on
> that ballot.
>
>  I like it.  (I'm still kind of wary of non-deterministic methods, though.
>  Not for myself, actually, but for selling them to the public.)
>
> - Andy

Actually, you can do this either randomly, or deterministically, or indeed
randomly-until-you-get-the-same-result-twice, or any hybrid like that. It
should amount to the same thing; I'd be happy with whichever variant in this
regard was most popular. (ie, which turns people off less, "complex" math or
non-determinism or some compromise?)

JQ