[EM] Monroe's Clustering Method (was PR methods and Quotas)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Tue Jul 26 00:03:40 PDT 2011

Andy Jennings wrote:
> Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
>
>     Andy Jennings wrote:
>
>         Like Jameson and Toby, I have spent some time thinking about how
>         to make a median-based PR system.
>
>         The system I came up with is similar to Jameson's, but simpler,
>         and uses the Hare quota!
>

>     How about clustering logic? Say you have an electorate of n voters,
>     and you want k seats. The method would be combinatorial: you'd check
>     a prospective slate. Say the slate is {ABC...}. Then that means you
>     make a group of n/k voters and assign A to this gorup, another group
>     of n/k other voters and assign B to that group, and so on.
>     The score of each slate is equal to the sum of the median scores for
>     each assigned candidate, when considering only the voters in the
>     assigned candidate's group.
>

> Kristofer,
>
> If you want a clustering PR method, then I would highly recommend
> Monroe.  In Monroe, the score of each slate is equal to the sum of each
> voter's score of his assigned candidate.  I think that, for a given
> slate, finding the optimal way of assigning the voters to the winners is
> polynomial.  (See Warren's page for more
> information: http://rangevoting.org/MonroeMW.html)
>
> I consider it to be a very promising method.

I think this is the method I called CFC-Range, for "continuous forced
clustering, Range". This method assigns voters, or fractional voters (so
we can handle weighted votes) to one of a number of clusters, where each
cluster is assigned to a candidate, so as to maximize the score that is
the sum of scores to the assigned candidates in each cluster. This is
done subject to the constraint that each cluster must have the same
weight (sum of votes' weights), so one doesn't end up with one cluster
representing 99% of the people and others less than 1%. Then it tries
each possible slate to find the one that has a max sum, and that one wins.

As an example, say that there are three clusters, and they're assigned
to A, B, and C, respectively. Then the method assigns voters (or
fractional voters) to cluster #1, #2, and #3 so as to maximize [the
score for A in the first cluster plus the score for B in the second
cluster plus the score for C in the third cluster].

I do that assignment per slate by using linear programming, but I guess
it could be done faster by more specialized algorithms, as Warren
states. It might also be the case that Monroe's original integer
programming formulation will relax easily to linear programming and so
in practice be solvable quickly, similarly to how I usually can find the
Kemeny and Dodgson winners quickly.

I also made a Kemeny version of this - actually, the Kemeny version was
the one I tried first. Here, one assigns orderings (rankings of
candidates) to each cluster, and then allocates voters to the different
clusters to maximize the Kemeny score of the assigned ordering wrt the
cluster in question. The orderings are constrained so that there is a
different first place candidate for each cluster's ordering, and then
the candidates at first place of the orderings whose Kemeny scores' sums
are maximum, win.
However, this is *very* slow, because now one doesn't only have to find
the right slate, but the right combination of orderings. Thus, it's
impractical, though it seems to work to some degree as a multiwinner
method (were it not so slow...).
Therefore, I've been interested in Condorcet methods that give
reasonable results under a variant of margins where the X against Y
score is always (number of votes where X is above Y) - (number of voters
where Y is above X), not either this or 0, whichever is more. If I could
find such a method, it might be incorporable into linear programming and
then I could make a clustering Condorcet method that would only be
per-slate combinatorial instead of worse.

> If I recall, when you did your PR simulations and graphed them on two
> axes (total satisfaction vs. proportionality), you said you weren't
> completely happy with your metric for proportionality.  I think you
> should consider using Monroe's metric.  That is, no matter how a given
> method chooses it's slate, you run the algorithm on that slate to
> optimally assign the voters to that slate and then you compute the sum
> of the voters' grades of their assigned candidates.

Yes, I could do that. I could do that for any combinatorial method,
actually. Just like different Condorcet methods can be phrased as "find
the winner while minimizing the influence of noise type X" (where X
depends on the method), the combinatorial methods could also be
considered "find the best slate according to logic Y". There is a side
effect, though, and that is that doing so will turn the combinatorial
optimization method perfect (because it optimizes according to that
logic). Because I don't want to give any method an automatic advantage,
I would prefer the metric to be indirect - to measure something related
to proportionality rather than the candidates themselves. The binary
issue-space metric I'm currently using does that, but it's not very
detailed (since it is binary).

> Of course, to actually find the optimal slate is an NP problem.  People
> often show this by embedding the "exact cover by 3-sets problem" in it.
>  But that requires having one-third as many candidates as voters!  In
> fact, finding the optimal slate is NP in the number of candidates and
> seats to fill, not in the number of voters.  If there are not too many
> candidates or not too many seats to fill, it should be tractable to
> iterate over all possible winning sets of candidates.  In reality, I
> think an integer programming algorithm should be able to find the
> optimal slate fairly quickly.  Or you can always dodge the question by
> having a public contest to find the best slate.

Or a combination of the two: run the state computer for a day, then set
the result as the best so far and let competitors try different ones if
they have any that are better.