[EM] Automated Approval methods (was Single Contest)

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 15:25:32 PDT 2011

Kevin wrote:
> Well, there aren't technically any (serious) strategy-free methods. I'm
> referring more to a method not having obvious strategic incentives, or
> at least not having a lot of a single type of strategic incentive, so
> that everybody knows that "in method X you should use Y strategy all
> the time" etc.

Yes, I can't claim that nonmonotonicity always leads to easily
generalizable manipulability.  I guess a while back I got pretty
discouraged by the weak nonmanipulability guarantees that conventional
voting systems can make, which led me to take my DSV research in slightly
different directions.

I just decided to throw that little "proof" out there since I couldn't
remember seeing anything like it before.  I don't claim it to be
especially graceful or useful, and I'll bet someone's done it better
anyway.

--
Rob LeGrand
rob at approvalvoting.org