[EM] PR for USA or UK

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Sun Jul 24 20:19:31 PDT 2011

On Jul 24, 2011, at 5:01 PM, Toby Pereira wrote:

> From: Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr>
> >I think the Range method itself is pretty incapable of this, but you
> >could do it either with rated ballots or with a rank ballot that has
> >truncation incentive.
>
> Is a range ballot not a rated ballot?

well, i don't know precisely what is meant by a "rated ballot", but
Range or Score Voting is not the same as the *ranked* ballot nor
really a subset of it.  i guess any score ballot can default to a
ranked ballot, where the candidate ranks are listed in the same order
as the candidate scores.  but Range or Score requires more information
than the ranked ballot.

and i don't think voters would be entirely consistent between the two
types of ballots.  it might be that a voter thinks that both
Candidates B and C are scum (compared to A) and would score B and C at
0 with A at 10 whereas, since the ranked ballot, if the voter thinks
that B, while scum, is preferable to C and they might rank B higher
than C, which doesn't hurt A at all.  whereas with score, bumping B up
from 0 to 1 (or anything non-zero) to express the voters preference of
B to C will numerically hurt this voters preference of A to B.

i have to admit, i don't like Score voting (i still don't see any of
the single-winner alternatives beating Condorcet, for the most part).
i think, while requiring more precise information from the voter than
with the ranked ballot ("how much more do you prefer A over C than do
you prefer A over B?"), i think it can lead a voter to act, to vote in
a less expressive way than with the ranked ballot.  and i think that
if voters (especially those that hate IRV and the ranked ballot) will
use their Score ballot like a traditional ballot, except for the
scaling.  that voter will give the single candidate of their choice a
10 and all other candidates a 0.  that becomes like a First-Past-The-
Post election.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com