[EM] Automated Approval methods (was Single Contest)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Jul 24 12:01:48 PDT 2011

Hi Kristofer,

--- En date de : Dim 24.7.11, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at lavabit.com> a écrit :
> > I also tried implementing the most obvious (I suppose)
> method: Take the
> > ratings and conduct simulated approval polling, either
> for some
> > determined or semi-random number of iterations, or
> until someone wins
> > twice in a row. This doesn't test as well as I thought
> it would though.
>
> What Approval strategy do you use?

I always use "better than expectation" when it is allowed to assume the
voters know the method is approval. (Which is just to say that the main
sim, when during pure Approval, can't use "better than expectation.")

I put a tiny amount of "average utility of all candidates" into the
expectation just to try to avoid the situation where your favorite won
all the polls so therefore you don't approve him.

Kevin Venzke