[EM] Weighted voting systems for proportional representation

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 15:11:32 PDT 2011

The system you describe *is* still precinct summable in the sense of
reporting the sums for each possible slate of candidates for each
precinct or polling location - this is at least a whole lot fewer sums
than the number of possible ballot choice permutations including
partially filled out ballots that IRV/STV would require to be reported
and sampled to be precinct summable (reporting all individual ballots'
choices would be less to report in most cases).

To be summable, this system would require reporting (N choose S) sums
where N is the number of total candidates in the contest and S is the
number of seats being elected.  This is a lot of sums - but could, I
imagine, be mathematically sampled and audited to limit the risk of
certifying the wrong slate much more easily than IRV methods could be
- but I'm not certain about that until I have the time to think about
it more (not any time soon).

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051