[EM] How to make a summable version of STV

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 11:29:30 PDT 2011

This method leaves open the possibility for "candidate hijacking". Consider:
Sojourner Truth has 1000 votes who vote Truth > Douglass > Everyone. Robert
E. Lee has 1100 strategic voters who vote Truth > Lee > Everyone > Douglass.
They dominate the honest Truth voters, so Lee is considered to be Truth's
second choice. The Droop quota is 1900. Truth has no quota and is
eliminated; her 2100 votes pass to Lee; and Lee is elected. That kind of
pathology could cause a civil war.

Part of this is the LNH property of STV biting us. With a system that can
see past the top choice, you'd have 2100 votes which were essentially
half-Douglass-half-Lee. In systems like Schulze STV, that would at least be
helping Douglass, so the Lee voters would have to think twice about the
tactic. And in systems like RRV, that wouldn't be any more likely to elect
Lee than Lee's 1100 honest votes, so the tactic would be useless.

JQ