[EM] Weighted voting systems for proportional representation

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Sat Jul 23 06:33:45 PDT 2011

Kathy Dopp wrote:
>> From: Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at lavabit.com>

>> I don't think that passes DPC (since Borda doesn't pass Majority), but
>> it passes the weaker "force proportionality" criterion (in that an 1/n
>> faction can, by strategy, force their representative to be the one they
>> want). So it is at least better than SNTV, except for the whole bit
>> about not being summable :-)
>
> It *is* a summable method because it would simply require reporting
> and summing the sum from each precinct for every ballot's (1) 1st
> choice candidate, (2) 2nd choice candidate, and so forth.

Is it? I may be wrong, but consider these alternate scenario snippets:

Scenario A:

1: X: 2, Y: 1, rest 0
1: A: 2, B: 1, rest 0

Scenario B:

1: X: 2, B: 1, rest 0
1: A: 2, Y: 1, rest 0

Say the current slate is {X,Y}. Then in the first scenario, you want to
add two points to the score from the first voter's ballot, and none from
the second ballot; but in the second scenario, you want to add two
points from the first ballot and one from the second.

Yet the per-candidate sums give X two points and Y one in both
scenarios. Even if you count the vote ranked style, you get:

First scenario: first place: one X and one A, second place: one Y and one B.
Second scenario: first place: one X and one A, second place: one B and
one Y.

> On first glance, I like this method, including the leximax tie-breaker
> for possible slates which garner the same number of 1st choice votes
> (I assume this can be continued if some slates garner the same # of
> 1st and 2nd choice votes to examine the 3rd choice candidates) which
> seems very fair.

That is indeed what I meant by the ", etc". I think truncated ballots
would count as if the person voted the minimum rating possible for the
candidates in question, so if you were counting 2nd choice votes and
someone bullet-voted, that just means he counts as if he voted the other
slate members zero.

It would also be possible to use mean instead of sum score, in which
case one just wouldn't add to either the numerator or denominator when
encountering a truncated ballot -- or you could use Warren's soft quorum.