[EM] General PR question

mrouse1 at mrouse.com mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Fri Jul 22 14:59:15 PDT 2011

It looks very nearly a tie, which complicates things. :)

In the weighted proportional method I described in another email, the
results would be (for a slate of 3 candidates, and ten votes for each pair
mentioned in the problem).

ABC = 60
ABD = 60
ABE = 60
ACD = 50
ACE = 50
ADE = 50
BCD = 50
BCE = 50
BDE = 50
CDE = 60

The possible winning slates are ABC, ABD, ABE, and CDE. So it picks the
same groups as mentioned before. Not much help there.

If we look at each winning group, A and B appear in three possibilities,
while C, D, and E appear in 2 apiece. So it seems reasonable to make sure
that the winning group has both A and B in it. If we are limited to 3
people, that leaves one spot.

So flip a fair 3-sided coin, and pick the third winner. :)

Mike

PS with a weighted system, A would get 25 votes (out of 60), B would get
25, and (C,D, or E) would get 10. Of course, in a 3 person legislature,
this is equivalent to giving each the same power, since any two could
outvote the third.