[EM] Weighted voting systems for proportional representation

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Fri Jul 22 12:59:30 PDT 2011

mrouse1 at mrouse.com wrote:
> I emailed Forest about using weighted voting systems (ones where
> candidates, rather than parties, have different voting power in the
> legislature), and he suggested posting it to the group for discussion.
>

> The following method could be used with Approval, Range, and Borda ballots.
>
> 1.  Determine the size of legislature you want.
>
> 2.  Have each candidate list all of the other candidates in order of
> preference.
>
> 3.  Looking at every possible slate of candidates in turn, add an amount
> equal to the highest scoring candidate on each ballot to that slate’s
> score.

Although it might only be slightly related to your system, this makes me
wonder if the following very simple combinatorial method is any good:

- Input ballots are Range or Borda.

- Any given slate has a score equal to the sum of, over all ballots, the
highest rated candidate on that ballot that is also in the given slate.

- The slate with the highest score wins.

- Tiebreaks are leximax (sum of, over all ballots, the second highest
rated candidate, etc).

I don't think that passes DPC (since Borda doesn't pass Majority), but
it passes the weaker "force proportionality" criterion (in that an 1/n
faction can, by strategy, force their representative to be the one they
want). So it is at least better than SNTV, except for the whole bit
about not being summable :-)

As a single-winner method, it reduces to Range or Borda respectively.