[EM] PR-SODA? Try 2 (and 3)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 09:45:53 PDT 2011

Looking back at the system I proposed, although it's quite simple to me, I
understand that it's probably too complex to explain to voters. So, here's
two compromise fixes, which make it simpler without sacrificing too much
quality.

1. Use "unique votes" (that is, divide ballot weights by the number of
uneliminated candidates they approve) instead of also keeping track of
"total votes". This will mean more eliminations before anyone gets to a
Droop quota, but in general it will not have too great an impact on results.

2. Instead of reweighting ballots to "use up" a Droop quota, simply randomly
draw and eliminate a Droop quota of ballots. The results are
probabilistically the same, and there's less math involved. If you want to
reduce the chance of random aberrations, you can rerun the election until
the same full slate has won twice (or indeed, N more times than any other
full slate).

So, here's the simpler procedure:

While there are more uneliminated candidates than empty seats:

Divide each ballot by the number of uneliminated candidates it approves
If there are any candidates with more than a Droop quota:

Elect the one with the highest score (previously "unique ballots")
Discard a Droop quota of randomly-chosen ballots which approve the elected
candidate, starting with the ones delegated to that candidate
Assign that candidates pre-declared approvals on any undiscarded delegated
ballots for that candidate

Otherwise:

Eliminate the candidate with the lowest score
Assign that candidates pre-declared approvals on any delegated ballots for
that candidate

Elect all remaining candidates to fill the seats.

Strategically, delegating is not the same as approving the same list.
Delegated ballots are at a disadvantage because they are discarded first;
but they are at an advantage because they are not divided when deciding whom
to eliminate. I'd say on the whole, there is no clear incentive whether to
delegate or not, so most voters will just make this decision "honestly"
based on whether they agree with their favorite candidate's predeclared
approvals.