[EM] HBH

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 04:19:36 PDT 2011

Excellent - if you think it's a good idea it must be!

I don't think it would be as simple as checking one possible result against one
other that differs by one candidate. How would we decide which of the "current
champion set" to remove to put the new candidate in for our comparison? We'd
have to check the merits of each possible result. There wouldn't be that many
though. So if S candidates are to be elected, the "current champion set" would
obviously have S members. Then we introduce a challenger candidate giving us S+1
candidates. There will then only be S+1 possible sets of S members involving
these candidates (one for each candidate's absence). Instead of comparing each
of these sets against each other, we can stick to the principle of HBH and its
winner-stays-on nature. So when we determine the winning set of S out of the S+1
candidates, we eliminate the candidate not in the winning set. Then we pick
another challenger and so on, one at a time, until S candidates remain. These S
are elected.

As for deciding the order of comparison, I'm not sure I'm as well qualified as
you!