[EM] A distance based method

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Wed Jul 13 23:14:44 PDT 2011

Jameson Quinn wrote:
> I doubt it's monotonic, though it's probably not a practical problem.
> That is, it would probably be totally impractical to try to use the
> nonmonotonicity for anything strategic, and it wouldn't even lead to Yee
> diagram ugliness.

Nonmonotonicity could be considered an error even with honest voters.
The argument would go something like: "Okay, if we raise X, then X goes
from winner to loser. That means that the method is either wrong about
who should have won in the ballot set before we raised X (it shouldn't
have been X), or after we raised X (it should have been X). We have no
way of knowing which is the 'right' result, and so other results could
also be suspect".