[EM] Individual freedom and voting methods

Russ Paielli russ.paielli at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 12:50:03 PDT 2011

You make some good points, Michael. The purpose of my post was to remind the
participants on this list that "pure" democracy is ultimately very
dangerous. I'm sure most of them know that, but an occasional reminder does
no harm.

Without a strong guarantee of individual rights, the best form of
"democracy" based on the best election methods will only end in tyranny by
the majority. If the majority is allowed to silence a minority or
arbitrarily take away some of their wealth and give it away to others in the
interest of "fairness," we are in trouble. (And of course I mean minority in
a general sense, not just racial minorities.)

That's precisely why democracy in the Middle East is not likely to result in
more freedom, for example. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

--Russ P.

http://RussP.us