[EM] A distance based method

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Jul 11 12:19:49 PDT 2011

Trying to build a metric from a set of ranked ballots is fraught with difficulties, and your outline of a
procedure for doing it is interesting to me.

The simplest, least sophisticated idea I have so far that seems to have some use is to define the
distance between two candidates X and Y to be the number of ballots on which at least one of the two is
truncated.

The heuristic behind this is that if X and Y are polar opposites, then a typical voter will probably truncate
at least one of them.

If we use this metric and simplify the method to always eliminate the pairwise loser of the current most
polarized pair, then it gives negligible incentive to compromise.