[EM] A distance based method

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 04:46:10 PDT 2011

You can read the paper - I linked it - if you want to. Without going back
and quoting them, basically they argued that if a method always elects
centrists, candidates will always be competing to be the "most centrist",
which will make it difficult for voters to make a meaningful choice. They
also argue that if a method almost always elects extremists (as with
Plurality in their simulation), the political culture will become one of
extremism and polarization. I would argue that this latter effect is clearly
visible in US politics.

Note that their definition of "centrist" and "extremist" was based entirely
on a single election, the 2007 French presidential election. They ran 10K
simulations of variants of this same election, seeded by real polling data.
(You can also see a summary of their results on
wikipedia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_systems#Experimental_criteria>.)
That's enough data to clearly show some differences between systems, but
it's not clear how robust those differences are under different conditions.