[EM] Quotaless STV

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 13:55:24 PDT 2011

I did wonder that myself and considered mentioning in the post for some reason
didn't. I'm not 100% sure. If it does make a difference you could easily add in
some sort of rule to determine how to do it, although the more rules the uglier.

You could do it in stages. At the first stage everyone transfers away any votes
above the 1/(n+1) threshold where there are n candidates. Any votes that might
get transferred to a candidate already above this would automatically go to
third choice, fourth etc. Once this is done, it would be clear that some
candidates would be stuck at higher than 1/(n+1) votes due to voters not having
made enough ranked choices. So a new quota would be calculated and the same
process would happen again until no votes can be transferred. All candidates
have their votes transferred simultaneously so there would be no ordering to it.
I know I've mentioned the word "quota" but it's not a specific set quota like
Droop or Hare and it's always up for renewal if it can be reduced further, so
I'd still essentially call this quotaless STV.