[EM] Has this idea been considered?

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 15:09:35 PDT 2011

I can see the point about strategic range just being approval, but strategic
First-Past-The-Post is just ignoring everyone except the top two candidates, and
you wouldn't just cut out all other candidates in an election to make it
simpler. (I think I nicked that point from Warren Smith). If range voting does
still produce some honest voters then it might still give a better winner than
approval. I suppose the main worry is that under First-Past-The-Post, people
know that if they are voting for someone who's unlikely to win then they are
"wasting" their vote, whereas under range voting, the best strategy isn't
necessarily as obvious so people lose voting power by not understanding the ins
and outs of tactical voting. To me, that's probably the biggest point against
range voting. Having said that, if it's as simple as always give 0 or 10 (if
it's out of 10), then I imagine it should catch on pretty quickly, although who
to give the 0s and 10s to might not always be as obvious.

But anyway, I would use range voting for multi-winner elections. For me the
biggest problem is not which particular system we use to elect a single winner,
but that there is a single winner that takes everything. When we had the
referendum for Alternative Vote (Instant Run-off) in the UK, I think most people
that preferred it to First-Past-The-Post agreed that it was just scratching the
surface and that although it seemed nicer in principle it wouldn't really make
much of a material difference (and generally for single-winner systems). And I
think most people who voted for Alternative Vote really wanted a proportional
system. Anyway, the point I was going to make is that I wonder what strategies
people would adopt under a proportional range system - would it always be 0 or
10?