[EM] Composite methods (Re: Eric Maskin promotes the Black method)

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 09:52:29 PDT 2011

Some more observations.

Party officials and representatives have more weight in decision making than regular voters. The opinions of regular supporters of party A could be A>Centrist>B, but the opinions of people whose future and career are tied to the party have more A>>>Centrist>B orientation. Some of them may simply count the number of days that they will be in power vs. in opposition. They want to rule themselves, not that someone ideologically close to them rules. From that point of view a two-party system may be better than one that allows also small parties that are ideologically closer to win. Parties that are ideologically close may be interpreted also as worst enemies since they may steal votes that would otherwise be yours (they might thus even think A>>>B>Centrist). These people could be more interested in going back to plurality from Condorcet than from IRV. And they are the ones that are in power (or have more power than many others).

Juho