[EM] Learning from IRV's success

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Jul 8 08:26:26 PDT 2011

On Jul 8, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Juho Laatu wrote:
> On 8.7.2011, at 17.16, Andy Jennings wrote:
>
>> Also, I think IRV's seemingly intuitive nature has something to do
>> with it. For those who *did* investigate more deeply, IRV seemed
>> sensible, too: instead of holding a bunch of expensive runoffs,
>> collect all the required information at once and then act as if
>> there were runoffs. That fails to account for the dynamics between
>> the rounds, but that's a subtle detail and might easily be missed.
>>
>> I, too, must admit that IRV has a natural feeling to it.  I had a
>> friend who described to me a system he thought of "on his own" and
>> he ended up describing IRV.

And MANY of us asking for Condorcet probably see it as fitting the
above description - for the voter.

It is when we notice that IRV counting can stray FAR from awarding to
the CW, that our attention can turn to Condorcet which:
.     Has counting that awards to deserving candidates.
.     Can easily handle equal ranking.
.     Can learn to award to write-ins (when they are deserving).

Dave Ketchum