[EM] SODA clarification

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Thu Jul 7 07:44:33 PDT 2011

Jameson,

I'm really liking the SODA method that is evolving.  I have a couple of
cosmetic suggestions:

First, in the description of SODA, I dislike using the term "delegate" for
step 3, candidate-to-candidate transfers.  I would only use the word
"delegate" for step 2, the bullet voters' votes getting delegated to their
candidates.  I prefer to think of step 3 as the candidates "casting" their
votes (which includes all the delegated votes they control).  It's a much
simpler mental model for me.  Since they aren't passing anything on to
another candidate which can be changed or controlled, I don't consider it
delegation.  Also, it decreases the implication of smoke-filled rooms (for
me) to have as little "delegation" as possible.  I think this terminology
was why I was confused about step 3 in a prior email.

Second, I find it incredibly confusing to say you have to write in "do not
delegate" if you bullet vote and you don't want your vote delegated.  I
realize that you want delegation to be the default for bullet voters.  Why
not organize the ballot with that as a separate question (as follows)?

------------
"Vote for as many candidates as you approve:"

[ ] Candidate A
[ ] Candidate B
[ ] Candidate C
[ ] Candidate D
[ ] ___(write-in)_____
[ ] ___(write-in)_____
[ ] ___(write-in)_____

"If you only vote for one candidate, he can choose to transfer his vote to
one or more alternate candidates in the event that he cannot win, UNLESS you
check the box below:"

[ ] Do not let the candidate I voted for transfer my vote to other
candidates

Andy