[EM] SODA

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 19:25:24 PDT 2011

2011/7/5, fsimmons at pcc.edu <fsimmons at pcc.edu>:

> I thought that A was required to make her approvals consistent with her
> ordering, i.e. to approve
> everybody ranked above her cutoff.  Doesn't that mean she is required to
> approve herself?
>
> Maybe I'm thinking of an older version of SODA.
>
> I hope you are right that there is nothing to fix.

Let's do this slowly. Here's the scenario:

 34 A>B>C
 35 B>C>A
 31 C>A>B,

B delegates first. B delegates to B,C. Totals are now C 66, B35, A34.
A's turn. If A does not delegate, C will be winning when it comes to
C's turn, and so C will not delegate. So A delegates to A,B. Totals
are now B69, C66, A34. C's turn. C is unhappy with B and so delegates
to C,A - but it's not enough. Final totals are B69, C66, A65.

I believe that the correct strategy for any combination of delegable
and undelegable votes (including minor, non-Smith candidates) in a
3-candidate Smith set is always for everyone to approve two members of
the Smith set if they care between the bottom two. This gives the same
result as minimax and most Condorcet methods. I haven't proven this,
and I don't have a general understanding of strategy for larger Smith
sets.

It is possible, when there are 3 or more near-clones A1, A2, A3...
running against a different candidate B with almost 50% - that is, B
can beat any combination of fewer than all the A's, and B has no
preference among the A's - that the true Condorcet winner among the
A's is subject to center squeeze, and the A's are forced to throw
their support to whichever of them has the most delegable votes, in
order to prevent B from winning. The upshot is that SODA, even
assuming candidates are honest in their pre-vote rankings and
strategic in their delegation, does not pass the Condorcet criterion,
but does pass the majority Condorcet criterion (that is, a pairwise
winner always wins if each of the pairwise wins constitutes a
majority). But I can't find any nonmonotonic scenario pairs, so this
"Plurality within the faction" is the worst result I can find. I think
that it's both unlikely and, really, not so bad.

JQ