[EM] What's wrong with the party list system?

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 3 13:26:17 PDT 2011

On 3.7.2011, at 20.44, Toby Pereira wrote:
> The problem I have with party list systems is that you do not elect individuals but organisations, who can then put in who they like.

Closed and open party lists have different philosophy. Basic closed lists contain an ordered list of candidates and one elects candidates starting from the beginning of the list. In basic open lists parties have no say on which ones of the nominated candidates will be elected (people vote for individual candidates, and candidates with most personal votes will be elected).

Juho