[EM] What's wrong with the party list system?

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 08:49:43 PDT 2011

Someone from Europe on this list recently said that they did not like
the party list system.  Why not?  Party list seems like a fair, simple
system of electing legislators who represent people in approximately
the same proportion that they exist in the electorate.  I have not
found a better-sounding proportional system yet. So, what's wrong with
the party list system?

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051