[EM] a Borda-Condorcet relation

Stephen Turner smturner0 at yahoo.es
Tue Jan 11 03:27:55 PST 2011

So to go from median to mean you just keep adding one datum above
and one below.  Thanks for that.

Your idea about a "gradual Black's" method is interesting
for a different reason.  Black's method actually has some
mometum behind it at the moment, as it is advocated by
Dasgupta and Maskin.  I couldn't find the original paper online,
but below is a link to their article in Scientific American.
Their justification is what they call the "majority dominance
theorem" which says that Black's method is a counter-example
to Arrow's theorem, and is the only such method, all this provided
that certain not-too-onerous profile restrictions are satisfied.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=ranking-candidates-more-accurate

(What they call "majority rule" is Condorcet, and what they propose is Black. The
article is verging on non-technical.)

I wonder how "gradual Black" would fit in.