[EM] Fast Condorcet-Kemeny calculations -- in polynomial time

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Thu Dec 22 07:26:52 PST 2011

On 12/22/2011 08:27 AM, Richard Fobes wrote:

> NP-hard problems require that every possibility be tested in order to
> know the characteristics of each -- and every -- possibility.

Just as a nitpick: that's not entirely true. Consider integer
programming. Integer programming is NP-hard, but in practice, there are
algorithms that do significantly better than brute force. These usually
work by excluding ranges of answers where one can reason that whatever
the optimum outcome is, it must be better than what lies in that region
(or that going in the direction given cannot possibly give a feasible
answer).

NP-hard problems are properly speaking also decision problems. Thus, if
the problem says "find the social ordering for which the sum of the
magnitudes of pairwise contests going in the other direction is less
than x", then you don't need to find the very best. All you have to do
is find an ordering with the sum less than x. Of course, you can then
use a binary search to find the minimal x for which it's possible to
solve the problem, but my point is that you don't necessarily need to
inspect every single possibility.