[EM] suggested improvement on Mutual Majority criterion/set

C.Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 21 02:02:36 PST 2011

I now see that I erred in how I defined my new suggested variant of the
Mutual Majority (aka Majority for Solid Coalitions) criterion, so
disregard what I previously wrote (pasted below this message)  starting
with "Preliminary definitions").

Instead I now propose this:

*The winner must come from the smallest set S of candidates about which
the following is true: the number of ballots on which all the members
(or sole member) is voted strictly above all the non-member candidates
is greater than the number of ballots on which a (any)   non-member
candidate is voted strictly above all the members of S.*

It has occurred to me that this concept isn't just invulnerable to
Mono-add-Plump. It is also invulnerable to Mono-add-Top. So my tentative
suggested name is "Add-Top Proofed Solid Coalition Majority".

It  is a bit stronger than normal  Mutual Majority criterion.

45: A>B
20: A=B
32: B
03: D

Mutual Majority only says that the winner must be A or B, but "ATPSCM"
says that the winner must be A. Both Kevin Venzke's ICA and Mike
Ossipoff's MTA methods elect B

40: A>B
35: B
25: C

Mutual Majority here says nothing, but ATPSCM  says (here like Minimal
Defense) that the winner must be A or B. Fortunately here there is no
discernible practical problem because no method wants to elect C.

Chris Benham