[EM] Electoral Experimentation

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Thu Dec 15 12:39:23 PST 2011

On 12/15/2011 12:15 PM, David L Wetzell wrote:
 > dlw: Within the third parties themselves, there'd need to be used
 > single-winner elections to determine their candidates/leaders/positions.
 >   In these regards, there'd be great scope for experimentation with
 > single-winner election rules, especially since they'd have no commitment
 > to a particular single-winner election rule.

You said that experimentation opportunities would be
"a good reason to strategically support IRV".
Presumably IRV would be used for both internal voting
"to determine their candidates/leaders/positions"
and for choosing candidates for public elections.

Why would IRV-chosen party leaders be motivated to try
any other voting method (for either internal or
candidate-selection use)?

Richard Fobes