[EM] SODA might be the method we've been looking for.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:08:18 PST 2011

One kind of SODA strategy which I didn't discuss is candidate
preference-declaration strategy aimed, not at directly attaining a better
result, but at attracting votes. This would basically take two forms:
established candidates truncating upstarts to try to minimize their
importance, and a candidate altering their true preference order to better
conform to some important fraction (probably the majority) of their voters.
In both cases, these phenomena would tend to have a "bandwagon effect"
which is arguably socially beneficial - minimizing the chances that a weak
Condorcet winner will win the election, while strengthening the margin of
true Condorcet winners. So I'm not worried about this sort of strategy
being a problem.

Jameson