[EM] Electoral experimentation

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Dec 14 23:26:59 PST 2011

On 12/14/2011 12:59 PM, David L Wetzell wrote:
> if we push hard for the use of American Proportional Representation
> it'll give third parties a better chance to win seats and they will
> prove great labs for experimentation with electoral reform.
>
> This is also a good reason to strategically support IRV, since we can
> trust that with changes, there'll be more scope for experimentation and
> consideration of multiple alternatives to FPTP.
>
> dlw

I doubt that electoral experimentation would follow the adoption of any
new election method.

Why?  Consider that elected representatives tend to defend whatever
election method they got elected under.  So if "American Proportional
Representation" -- or any other method -- were used by a third party to
elect its leaders, the elected representatives would be unlikely to
support experimenting with other election methods.

It's analogous to a door to a treasure room that gets closed and locked
after the first people pass through.  People who gain access to power
naturally want to preserve whatever electoral system got them elected.

Richard Fobes