[EM] MMPO and Symmetric Completion

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 16:46:15 PST 2011

> Now let's come up with a good name for this MMPO with partial symmetric
> completion.  Actually we
> need a good technical name as well as a catchy name for public proposal.

This is indeed a good method. In simple parlance, you want the candidate
who is least disliked against any other candidate, counting equal bottom as
half-disliked. So I suggest "Least Regret Voting" as a name.

Unfortunately, this philosophy -- choosing the least-worst -- is less
intuitively-appealing to most people than majoritarian philosophies. If I
didn't know how the two systems worked, I'd probably be more inclined to
like a system called "Majority Judgment" than a system called "Least Regret
Voting".

(Actually, even knowing their content, I'd still probably pick MJ; though
I'd pick LRV if you modified it slightly by using a ballot with meaningful
rating categories, which is perfectly compatible with the system. I'll
still be pushing MJ and SODA over rated-LRV, though, until there's at least
a few dozen people in the world not on this list who've heard of LRV.
Anyway, regardless of which methods I support, I still think it's a pity
that the naming has an inherent bias towards MJ over LRV; the systems
should win or lose on their merits, not on their names.)

As for a technical name... I guess I'd choose "BSC-MMPO",
Bottom-symmetrically-completed etc. But I'm one who's perfectly happy to
call MJ, "MJ", rather than "Cardinal Median//Median Drop Median" or some
such technically-descriptive name. So I don't really care about the
technical names.

Jameson

ps. I know that BR fans might object to the different definition of
"regret" implicit in calling it LRV; but I was never a fan of the "BR" name
myself so I can't say I worry about that. BR is a great idea but, I feel, a
poor name.