[EM] Fwd: how goes American PR?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 14:27:33 PST 2011

Does "American PR" have a specific meaning yet? I'm sure I'll be in favor
of it, whatever PR variant it is; but while I'm still ignorant, let me
guess a little.

I doubt it's a mixed-member system. They're good, but the US, despite (or
perhaps because of) being one of the most partisan countries around, has
too much suspicion of "party machines" for that to catch on.

So that leaves ... I guess the most-probable options are global STV or STV
in small multimember districts (3-5 members).

Again, these are both quite good systems I'd support. But if it's not too
late to offer a suggestion... I'd strongly encourage you to consider
something like PAL
representation<http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/PAL_representation>.
It's certainly not the simplest system there is, but then no PR system is
really simple. And as advantages you get:
-- High potential for 100% continuity (if the statewide gerrymander was
fairly proportional, and if third parties don't pick up any seats). This is
a HUGE advantage when selling to incumbents. I mean, seriously, tremendous.
-- Voters and/or peers have the real power to remove even the most
well-encrusted incumbent if they sour on him or her. That is, it's
voter-centric, not party-centric
-- Almost every voter gets their own local representative WHOM THEY VOTED
FOR. This is absolutely something that would resonate with US voters,
raised on tales of "No taxation without representation".

Check it out.

(And yes, I think that we can work together over PR, even if we don't see
eye-to-eye on single winner systems.)

Jameson