[EM] FBC failure for acquiescing coalition methods

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Dec 15 17:50:03 PST 2011

Mike,

I think your example applies to all acquiescing coalition methods that we have considered.  The failure is
caused by someone leap frogging over others to get to the top position.

But I think that most of these methods satisfy this FBC like property:

If the winner changes when (on some ballot) candidate X is moved to the top slot along with all of the
candidates that were ranked above X, then the new winner will be X or one of the other candidates that
were raised on that ballot.

This seems like a reasonable substitue for the FBC, since it builds into it a consistency requirement,
namely that if you raise X. then sincerity requires raising to the same level or higher all candidates that
you prefer over X.

Forest