[EM] Least Resentment Voting (LRV) in the context of Approval

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Dec 9 16:52:01 PST 2011

If I remember correctly Kevin Venzke's first post to this list was a geometric argument that
the MMPO winner was apt to be closer to the voter median position in Approval than the
Approval winner.  The scenario he had in mind was something like this

Scenario One:

26 A
24 A=C
24 B=C
26 B

The geometry was something like this:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
_________________CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC________________

It weemed pretty obvious that the MMPO winner C was more likely the true majority choice
than than either of the tied approval winners A.or B.

Not long after that Kevin came up with his MMPO bad example:

Senario Two:

48 A
2 A=C
2 B=C
48 B.

The MMPO winner C lacked too much approval to be the real winner. Kevin took back his
proposal, and went on the bigger and better things like trying to convince Juho that MinMax
(margins) was not an acceptable public proposal. either.

But as I mentioned in a recent posting MMPO with symmetric completion is the same as
MinMax(margins), and by exempting the top rank or slot from the symmetric completion, we
get a really nice compromise between MMPO and MinMax(margins), and what's more this
version gives the "right" answer in both scenarios above.  Kevin was ever so close to
proposing what I now call LRV "Least Resentment Voting" or more technically Bottom-
Symmetric-Completion MMPO.

In the first scenario above both A and B have max opposition of fifty, while the max opposition
of C is 26 + 13 = 39, so C wins.

In the second scenario, A and B still have max opposition of 50 each, but now C's max
opposition is  48 + 24 = 72, so C loses, to a tie betwen A and B.

Where is the cutoff where all three are tied?

Scenario Three:

34 A
17 A=C
17 B=C
34 B

In this scenario the max opposition (with the bottom symmetric completion rule in effect) is
34+17 for A, 34+17 for B, and 34 +17 for C.

The second largest opposition to either A or B is 17+17=34, while the second largest
opposition to C is still 34+17, so C loses the tied situation , and the winner is a toss up
between A and B.