[EM] Forest's FBC/ABC method

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Dec 6 16:14:43 PST 2011

Here's an equivalent but simpler description of the FBC/ABE compliant method that I have been calling
(since Mike's pointer about MaxMin vs. MinMax) MaxMin(EqualRankPairwiseRule):

Let M be a matrix whose entry in row i and column j is the number of ballots on which candidate i is
rated or ranked strictly above candidate j plus half the number of ballots on which candidates i and j are
ranked or rated equal bottom (i.e. neither one is ranked or rated ahead of any other candidate on the
ballot).

Find the maximum value in each column of M.  Find the column j whose maximum value is minimal.
Elect candidate j.

In other words, elect the MinMax(ModifiedPairwiseOpposition) candidate, where the modified pairwwise
opposition of candidate x against candidate y includes half the number of ballots on which neither x nor
y is ranked or rated above any other candidate.

In other words, it is the same as MMPO after symmetrical completion of the order among the equal
bottom candidates on each ballot (but not among other equally ranked or rated candidates).

Note that this method is a modification of MMPO that retains the FBC compliance as well as the mono-
add-equal-top compliance.  In addition it finesses the Approval Bad Example (defection problem) and
does not elect the weak middle candidate of Kevin's Bad MMPO example.

Note that mono-add-equal-top is stronger than mono-add-top, which in turn is stronger than mono-add-
plump.

Shall we abbreviate MinMax(ModifiedPairwiseOpposition) with MMMPO?

It still needs a fancier name for public consumption.