[EM] Chris: MMT

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 6 13:34:03 PST 2011

Chris:

You wrote:

...your definition of
MMT doesn't make clear that a "majority candidate set" may contain only
one candidate.

[endquote]

My definition doesn't say anything about how many candidates a majority
candidate set may or must contain.

That means that a majority candidate set may contain any number of
candidates, and that includes one.

You continued:

Given that this uses 3-slot ballots, isn't it just (interpreting any
above-Bottom rating as approval)  "Majority Approval//Top Ratings"?

*If no candidate is majority-approved elect the most top-rated
candidate. Otherwise elect the most top-rated majority-approved candidate.*

[endquote]

No. That is not a rewording of my definition. It is not equivalent to my
definition. Your different wording has a different meaning, and quite different
results.

You continued:

But of course that fails Later-no-Harm, because it could be that if some
voters vote A truncate then no candidate will have majority approval and
A wins but if they vote A>B then B will have majority approval and the
win will change to B.

[end quote]

Quite so.

Mike Ossipoff