[EM] Declaration of Election-Method Experts and Enthusiasts

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 01:43:26 PDT 2011

Hi Richard,

I am sending a small P.S. to clarify one of the ideas in my email below.

I think that the most viable transfer from an "old" one-round
single-winner election system to a "new" system. Goes through a two
round system, where the  winner of the election in the "old" system
meets the winner in the "new" system. This is the track for changes of
voting system, which I think will have the biggest chance to get
political support. A FPTP system would thus be reformed so that, the
FPTP winner would meet the Condorcet/Approval/Score/Bucklin winner in
the second round, if the two winners would be different.

I think the reform of a two round system could take two different paths:
1) a three round system where a second run-off is held between the
runoff winner in the second round and the
Condorcet/Bucklin/Approval/Score winner from the first round, if the
Condorcet/Bucklin/Approval/Score winner would be different from the
two run-off candidates.
2) a two-round system, where the FPTP winner would meet the
Condorcet/Bucklin/Approval/Score winner if they are different,
otherwise we would have a normal run-off.

In theory one might imagine a two-round election second round with
three candidates, but then the second-round election system would not
be a run-off election, which would maket the system politically more
difficult to pass.

Best regards
Peter Zbornik